Sunday, March 11, 2012

Big Girl Room

Emma has been in a toddler bed since she turned two.  A few months ago she finally started asking when she would get a big bed.  I've been excitedly planning their new big girl room ever since.  I have to admit, I was sad to take down the "nursery" decorations.



We took the girls to my parents' house for the weekend so we could just get it all done and bring the girls home to a nice new room.

We got them both new mattresses, Emma, a new bed ($7.50 at an estate sale!) , painted the room, and redecorated.  We worked hard all weekend.  I'm really not sure I've worked that hard in a long time.  I was so excited, though, about the way it turned out.  I just knew the girls were going to love it.



Emma and Taylor love princesses and fairies, so I was super excited when I found these vintage placemats at an estate sale for $2.50 and the vintage Cinderella coloring book for a quarter!  The curtain rod is for them to showcase some of their favorite pieces of art.

Do you remember that I said we took the girls to my parents' house for the weekend?  That means they had not taken a nap in three days.  That is important to the rest of this story. 

We pulled into our driveway and Taylor saw her old mattress sitting by the curb.  This was a very old blue floral mattress that was beginning to get holes in the side.  Taylor asked what it was.  We told her it was her old mattress because we got her a new one.  She began to cry.  A lot.  She said she loved that mattress and didn't want any other mattress.  The crying continued as she walked in to see her new room.  I'm not sure she even noticed anything else.

Emma had the reaction we were looking for.  She was so excited saying, "It's beautiful!"  "I love my new bed!"  She then hopped onto her bed, with her shoes on.  She moved and saw this.


She immediately started sobbing, saying "I'm so sorry.  I didn't mean to." 
I don't know what it is, but it seems to be oil based and so far, isn't coming out.  She finally stopped crying.

They are both finally asleep and they both expressed gratitude as we tucked them into bed.  I guess Taylor decided her new mattress wasn't too bad after all. 

Will said, "I had grand visions of their reactions and thought we should get out the video camera."

I did too, but boy am I glad we didn't.

3 comments:

  1. Oh stink! Sorry it didn't go as well as hoped. But goodness, it's beautiful! Good job!! And I hope there's a solution to the stains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that we tired them out so much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! Hopefully they are beginning to enjoy it more. :)

    ReplyDelete