Thursday, March 22, 2012

Worms

This week is Spring Break.  It has rained everyday so far.  Now, yes, my kids only go to school three mornings a week, but I will still hoping for a little more "outside" time.  I finally let them play outside in the rain yesterday.

We took a walk with umbrellas up and down our street.  We did some guessing and experimenting with things that sink and float and watched things "float down the river".  The best part, though, was the number of worms that had made their way into the street gutter.  There were TONS of them!

I don't really mind bugs (except when a large spider surprises me in an unexpected place).  The girls LOVE bugs.  They would search and catch bugs all day long.  Yesterday there was one particularly huge worm.  Really long, fat, and squishy.  Almost reptilian.  My stomach turned a little bit just looking at it.  Taylor picked it up.  Emma then tried to pick up a smaller.

Emma:  I can't pick it up.  He's too slimy.  Can you do it for me?
Taylor:  You can do it.  Just use your finger nails.

My stomach turned a little bit again.  About a month ago, our pastor talked about a book in his sermon,
That's Disgusting Unraveling the Mysteries of Repulsion by Rachel Herz.  It explains that many of the things we believe to be disgusting are learned.  We are taught that certain things are disgusting, even if it is based solely on opinion.  I have thought about this a lot since then.  I don't want to pass on my irrational fears to my kids.  

So.....I didn't say anything about the worm.  About how incredibly disgusting it was that she was digging her fingernails into that juicy grossness.  I just made them wash their hands really well when we got in the house.

Emma was cold by the time I brought out the camera and just wanted to go in.  I did get a few shots of Taylor, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment