Monday, September 12, 2011

Fun at the Fair


I love the fair.  In fact, that might be an understatement.  I love, love, love the fair.  I have since I was a kid.  I loved the excitement that built inside me as I watched the fair come together the week before.  When I was younger, the first Friday night was free so that's when my family went.  I would go later in the week and ride rides with friends.

Now, since I don't live in Hutchinson anymore, I have to fit the entire fair experience into one or two visits.  Its fun, but its exhausting.  This year I went on Friday night with two very good friends from high school.  I love these two friends  and wish we could get together more than once a year, but that's what happens when you become an adult.


We still aren't totally adult-like, though. : )



Saturday we spent the day at the fair with my family.  We did a lot of stuff and when I got home I still thought of several things that we missed!  I guess I needed three days.

The kids made puppets in the DO ART building. 


The girls practiced their screwdriving skills in a construction areas for kids.











Looked at the scarecrow entries.  This is Flynn and Rapunzel.

The girls rode the ponies.






















We watched the pig races.

Aunt Sarah got all the kids' faces painted.

We got tired and headed for home.

The following list is full of highlights that didn't get documented by pictures.
*Fried cookie dough - absolutely delicious.
*Riding the sky ride.  Its a ski-lift, without snow.
*Overhearing a conversation about how tasty the gizzards would be in a specific large chicken.
*The magic show that my sister thought was the worst magic show ever, but Taylor thought was pretty cool.
*Learning about dairy cows while watching a milking demonstration.






2 comments:

  1. My family are definitely fair people too! I grew up showing animals at the county fair all week, and then spending multiple days at the Iowa State Fair. My parents usually make a trip down here to go with us to the Kansas State Fair...so we'll be going this coming weekend! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people must think I'm crazy, but since we grew up in Hutch I still get excited about the fair each year and try to squeeze in at least one visit! We, too, used to go on the free Friday as a family. Then my grandma would also take us one time because she loves the fair too! :)

    ReplyDelete