Thursday, August 25, 2011

Great Plains Nature Center, Part 2

I forgot one very important event when I wrote about our trip to the Nature Center.  While we were in the gift shop we picked up dessert for the evening.

Yep, that's right.  Larvets, a cheddar cheese worm delicacy.  The girls loved them and couldn't wait to serve them to Will.

I really wanted to catch his reaction before it went away - that's why my finger blocked the shot.
He was totally grossed out.  He was really bothered by the fact that you could really see their legs.  Eating it was completely out of his comfort zone.  He did it out of love - for the children, not me.  They really aren't that bad.  They're just basically airy shells.  They don't taste much like cheddar cheese, though.


We can't wait to share them with our extended family!



Okay, the last thing I want to talk about is the game that I made. 
I had to make a game for the class I took earlier this summer at the Nature Center.  This is super easy and anyone can do it.  

Make a generic board of some sort and make some question/activity cards.  Each player finds something in nature to be their playing piece.  Find a piece of bark to determine how many spaces each player moves.  Rough side means two spaces, smooth side means one.  Roll it just like a die.

The game will be different each time its played because the cards are specific to the nature you are in.  Here are some examples:  Find something rough.  Look for a cloud, what does it look like?  Find two insects.  How are they the same and different?

Keep it in your car and you always have some extra fun on hand!  

The girls loved it.

Find a soft spot to lay on.

Act like an animal.  - She was a deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment