Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Great Plains Nature Center

Earlier this summer I had to take a class for my teaching re-certification.  I chose to take one at the Great Plains Nature Center.  I had heard really great things about it, but had never been there.  Let me tell you, it surpassed all the good things that I had heard.  I could not wait to take my kids. 

Last week, I felt like it had finally cooled off enough to return.  We started inside by looking around in their little "museum".  It is great for small children and adults alike.  It has things to touch, hear, read, and look at.  I learned a lot about the animals and vegetation that are common to Kansas.  Taylor enjoyed it all and Emma liked everything except the loud Bison sounds.

After that we picked up a few cones full of turtle food for a quarter each and headed out on the trails to the turtle pond.


This is only a fraction of the turtles that came to dine.
After the turtles, we hit the trails for a little exploration.  While we were out we even saw a deer!  He was too fast to take a picture of.

Stopping to admire a dragon fly.
We spent the rest of the time playing a nature game that I made (a post coming about that later).

  
We had a really great morning and can't wait to go back!  They have so much more to do - and its all free!

No comments:

Post a Comment