Monday, June 13, 2011

A Penny Saved

Any time we go to Walmart the girls ask if they can look in the princess aisle.  We always peruse and they are happy with just looking and pushing all the buttons.  A couple months ago Taylor found a new Tangled Rapunzel doll.  It sang and had glowing hair.  She declared that she wanted it.  It was $21.00.  I told her she could save up her money to buy it.  She said okay and we went on our way.

The next time we returned she asked why I wasn't getting it for her.  I reminded her that she didn't have enough money saved yet.  This made her very sad, but gave her a new motivation to save her money. 

A couple people asked for birthday gift ideas and I told them about Rapunzel.  I didn't want anyone to buy it for her, I wanted her to save and buy it - I wanted to her to learn from it.  She was given $9.00 in birthday money to add to her Rapunzel fund.  (Emma, of course, received the same amount.)

We counted the money in her piggy bank and added her new money and she was $3.00 short of what she needed.  Amazingly, Emma had the same amount.  I later found out Will had been adding equal amounts of coins to the banks when no one was looking.  The girls each earned $3.00 by helping me clean out the van.

We first took a trip to the bank to change their coins into bills.  I wish that I'd had my camera.  They were so proud carrying their little banks in.

Then, it was on to Walmart.  Taylor immediately went to the doll.  I showed her other options, but she never wavered.  Emma used her money to buy two things.  I was afraid Taylor would be sad when she got home and only had one thing, but she wasn't.  She loves that singing Rapunzel and we are all singing her song in our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment