Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Democracy

I ordered a mail-in ballot, but after a few days of consideration, I decided not to use it.  I wanted to take the girls.
While talking about it with the girls, I explained that in America, we have a democracy.  Knowing that they would not know that big word, I explained that in this particular election, we were voting for a new president.  One from each party.  I told them it wasn't really a party. 

Emma said, "its like a meeting". 
"Yes, kind of.  They have different ideas."
Taylor said, "its a boring meeting."

I know people get riled up about politics, but it feels so much worse this year.  I'm sure its just because I have a facebook account.  I'll be honest.  I did unfriend a few people.  These people weren't just expressing opinions.  They were making general statements that attacked the character of entire political parties.  That's what I can't handle.

I don't talk politics.  I don't tell people my affiliated party.  I don't tell people who I voted for.  I know some of you think you know.  I'm still not going to tell.  Even if I did, I'll admit, I don't always vote for my party.  I said it.  Its true.

It makes me sad that people get so hateful.  I know these are emotionally charged issues.  But I want my kids to learn about it in a respectful, God honoring way. 

Okay, anyway.  The girls didn't want to go with me at first to vote.  Once we were there though, they enjoyed it.  They whispered, "who are you voting for?"  the whole time and Taylor worked very hard to make sure the dividers were protecting my privacy.  She kept checking to make sure no one was looking at my votes.  Emma, on the other hand, tried to read the other people's answers.

It was a good lesson in democracy.


No comments:

Post a Comment