Wednesday, June 13, 2012

San Diego

Last week, Will and I had the opportunity to visit San Diego, California.  Without our kids.  We've not taken a real vacation alone since our honeymoon - ten years ago.  We've done some weekend get-aways here and there, but this was a whole week.  Our parents split the week keeping the girls and everyone had a great time.  They didn't start misbehaving until we walked in the door to pick them up.  I guess if they're going to misbehave, I'd rather it be with me.

Everyone told me how much I'd miss my kids.  I'd be aching to see them.  I'm going to be totally honest here, even if it makes me sound like a bad mom.  I didn't.  I kept waiting for it to happen.  It didn't.  Don't get me wrong, I thought about them constantly.  Everything I saw reminded me of them.  We bought them souvenirs.  Maybe I needed the break that much.  I think it was more than that, though.  I knew my kids were being well taken care of.  I knew they were building great relationships with their grandparents.  I have great memories from staying at both sets of grandparents' houses and I wanted them to have memories too.

I had a great time with my husband.  We stayed out late (although the latest was 11:30).  We just drove, without a plan.  We picked out restaurants based on what we wanted to eat.  We lingered at those restaurants long after our meals were over, without the fear of someone melting down.  We bought cereal with nuts in it (Taylor is allergic).  We went into stores with breakable items in them.  We bought pops and didn't have to share them with anyone. 

I love my kids to death, but I sure loved my time without them.

Now, on to our actual activities.

San Diego has a reputation of "June Gloom".  Cloudy and cool every day.  We heard about this, but fortunately, only experienced it about a day and a half.  It still wasn't hot, though.  About 70 degrees everyday.  Perfect.  Except at the ocean, where I found it to actually be pretty cool.  Thankfully, I took a jacket.

And the ocean.  This was my first time to the ocean and it was everything I hoped it would be, except for warm.  The warmest water we found was 66 degrees.  I refused to go in it without a wetsuit.  It was beautiful.  In fact, it brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it.

We went to the zoo, kayaked, and visited the Taylor Guitar factory.  The rest of the time we just explored.  And visited the ocean.  A lot.

I know you're all dying to see my pictures.  Taking pictures without kids was kind of weird.  Its either us, or the scenery.  If you'd like a complete viewing, let me know.  We can set up the old slide projector and have you over for popcorn.


If you look in the wave you can see a dolphin.  I know it looks more like a shark, but I promise, it was a dolphin.  He jumped out of the water for us!




Taylor Guitar Factory in El Cajon.  The guitar Will wanted wasn't on the clearance rack.  We bought t-shirts instead.

This bridge was literally one of the scariest things I've ever been on.  People really drive up there!

No kayaking pictures, just this after-shot.






Will swimming in the cold Pacific ocean while I watched from the beach.

Lots of pretty meal times.


Right before we got on the plane to go home.  We sure miss that beautiful weather.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel badly about not missing your kids--I've never missed them when I've been on vacation either! (How brave of you to admit it). Glad you and your hubby were able to get away and celebrate. Time well spent.

    ReplyDelete