Monday, April 16, 2012

Tornadoes, Teeth, and Toes

Saturday night was the first time I have ever really "prepared" for a tornado.  I grew up in Kansas so spring weather feels pretty normal.  This tornado was different.  We had several days to prepare and even then, I didn't get concerned until the news told me to have sturdy shoes such as work boots in case we needed to walk through debris.  That scared me. 

Yes, I was one of those people who went and bought water and packed a small bag of clothes, just in case.  I packed important papers and medications in the basement ahead of time.  And, yes, when we saw on the news that the tornado was headed right for our part of time, we went to the basement.

The girls had been asleep a few hours before we woke them up.  They did surprisingly well.  Taylor saw the weather map on TV and said "Wow!  Those are beautiful colors!"  She then followed up by telling us she was hungry.  They never got scared and went back to sleep right away.  And, yes, we had a snack.

The storm took a different turn and missed our neighborhood by three miles.  Unfortunately, others in town weren't so lucky.  Thankfully, there were no deaths. 

Followed are a few fun facts that are completely unrelated.

*Taylor has a very loose tooth!  Yeah!  I can't believe she's old enough for that.
*I had a hole in one of my socks that showed one of my toes.  Will said, "throw that thing away!  We're not in Willy Wonka!"  I laughed pretty hard and then threw the sock away.
*While walking in the grocery store parking lot following a young lady with too small shorts on, Emma says loudly, "Her shorts are too short!  You can almost see her bottom.  She needs to put them in the garage sale."  It makes perfect sense.  That's what we do when her shorts get too small.

1 comment: