Friday, February 10, 2012

Don't Wait

A year ago, today, my grandpa passed away.  He was in a nursing home, and had been sick, but not that sick.  There was no warning.  I didn't expect it.  I would've gone to visit one more time.

I found out this morning my neighbor Brenda, passed away.  She too, had been sick, uterine cancer.  I hadn't talked to her in a month and had no idea she had taken a turn for the worse.  The thought had crossed my mind several times to visit, bake her some bread, or give her a call.  I didn't though.  I was too busy, too tired, too lazy.  Brenda was a believer and she is now pain free, celebrating with the Lord, but I'll miss her.

What hurts the most though, is that I didn't know.  It didn't have to be a surprise.  I have been planning in my mind to invite all my neighbors over for pie for three months now.  I haven't done it.  Brenda was the only original neighbor left from when we moved in almost 8 years ago.  I loved knowing her.  She loved us.  That connection with people is so important.  You just don't know how quickly things will change.

I think I'll schedule that pie party now.

No comments:

Post a Comment