Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Emma

Emma has been a bit of challenge since the day she was born.  She is strong-willed and full of energy.  Those are nice ways to say she is stubborn and can't be still or calm.  Don't get me wrong, she has her sweet moments.  I'd say there isn't a better cuddler in the world and at times she has a heart of gold.

Lately, though, we've been seeing a lot of the "other" Emma.  She's been easily frustrated, and disrespectful.  Its like she's a teenager trapped in a four year old body.  When she's upset, she screams and throws fits.  When she wants something, she takes it.  When she talks, she whines. 

We've tried everything, and nothing has worked.  We were visiting family this past weekend, so of course, she had many opportunities to demonstrate these bad behaviors.  We were all tired and irritable, and at those times, things seem worse than they are.  I, of course, was embarrassed and felt like a terrible mother.  People try and say things like, "she really is a good kid."  I know that is true, but in those moments, nothing can make me feel any better about the situation.

In reality, I know that what I need to do is be more consistent.  Consistency for a few days.  That just makes me tired thinking about it. 

Emma is a good kid.  I love her very much.  This phase will pass - it always does.  Thanks for letting me vent.

**One final note.  A few days ago she was upset with me and said in a mean voice, "You're a ganda banda!"  Now, this is a nonsensical word that means nothing, but it was clear that she wanted me to know she was mad.  I responded back in the cheeriest voice possible, "I love you!"  Her final reply was "Don't say that!"  Then she walked away.  Kill 'em with kindness, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment