Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

I loved that show growing up - Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  I think my kids would like it, too.  But, they don't get to watch it, because we don't have cable and our antenna, for some reason, won't pick up PBS.  Anyway...

I wanted to spend some time talking about my neighborhood.  I love my neighborhood.  And my house.  Our house is tiny.  No, seriously.  It's TINY.  We hadn't planned on living here for long, but God has had other plans for us.  I don't mind it, really.  It has helped me stay clutter free and it can be cleaned pretty quickly.  We (mostly Will) have redone everything in the house.  Literally, from the roof to the basement floor.  Because of that, I really love this house.  Don't get me wrong, I look forward to things in a new house some day.

Enter dream sequence:
I could flush the toilet in the morning and not worry about waking everyone up.
I could actually sit in one room and not be able to look into every other room in the house.
I could have enough cabinet space to store my food in the kitchen instead of the basement.
Back to reality.

On top of a great house, we have a really nice neighborhood.  I personally know the names of people in 8 of the houses that surround us, and talk with them frequently.  Our kids play together.  We have neighborhood parties.

A lot of the success of the neighborhood goes to the neighborhood association.  They make sure cars aren't abandoned and grass gets mowed.  Yes, the president does get a little bit into everyone's business, but she gets things done!  A few weekends ago we had a garden party.  Other than the fact that it was at 2:00 in the afternoon on a 100 degree day, it was pretty fun.

They took pictures of the kids for ID kits.

They had water balloons.

And, sprinklers.

One last closing note.
One of my neighbors attended an estate sale a long time ago and purchased a photo album, just for the album.  She threw out all the photos except four.  They were pictures of our house.  She remembered she had them and found them for us.  Isn't that super sweet!?!  I love my neighborhood.  And my house.


3 comments:

  1. If only we would have looked into building UP in our little red house...Seriously, makes me miss such a great neighbor and neighborhood! Fun pics of the front room! How do you keep that place so spotless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rashelle, you know that your house looks like that once a month, after the kids go to bed, too! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool to see pics of your house when the previous owners lived there!

    ReplyDelete