Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Science Fair

This year we participated in a program called "First Things First". It is a pre-preschool program that parents attend with their children. We met Tuesday nights and Will and I alternated working with each girl. We loved the time we got to spend with them individually.

Anyway...the school year is almost over so we "got" to take part in a science fair. We had to work with a partner. It would have been very easy for Emma and Taylor to be partners, off course, I don't do anything easy. I wanted the girls to work with different kids and do different projects. I thought it would be good for them and they would have pride in the "own" boards.

That meant double the work, double the parents, and double the stress. I know, they're 3 - this shouldn't have been stressful. They weren't stressed - I was. I'm a teacher at heart. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and can be kind of a control freak. I had the perfect plan in mind and it would be completely age appropriate.

Knowing that I have these tendencies, I worked hard from the beginning to work cooperatively with the other parents. Things didn't go completely smoothly, but they turned out okay. The cooperation aspect of this project was definitely more of a lesson for me than the girls. This is just the beginning of working with parents.

All of that said, the girls did enjoy their experiments and were very proud of their accomplishments. Emma learned about our sense of smell and Taylor learned how colored water can change the color of the leaves.

*Grandmas and Grandpas: To see more detail, just click on the pictures and they will get larger. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment