Monday, April 4, 2011

Planting Dandelions


Spring is a season that brings fresh air, budding trees, green grass, and dandelions. Emma and Taylor love beautiful things, so why then, would they not love dandelions.

Their fascination began last week when they found a small clump of beautiful yellow flowers growing in a friend's yard. These beautiful flowers were a new experience because their daddy has worked extra hard to make sure they do not grow in our yard.

They picked the dandelions to take home to Daddy. I knew he would love them. We arrived home and they presented him with the beautiful bouquet. His response what just as I expected. He smiled and said, "Thank you! These are beautiful!" Then, through a forced smile asked, "Where did these come from?" I knew he really meant, "Do WE have dandelions growing in our yard!?!" I assured him that our yard was still weed free.

A few days later, the girls and I went shopping for flowers. Walking down an aisle, they spied some bright yellow flowers and exclaimed, "DANDELIONS!" Several adults around us chuckled and I explained the difference between the types of flowers.

Later that day, Taylor took an extra long nap so I got to have some time alone with Emma. This was a treat that rarely happens. She helped me plant the new flowers. Lately, she has been super sweet and cuddly - I like this stage. She stayed by my side for a long time and even told me that I was a very good digger. I truly took it as a compliment.



She finally asked if she could plant some dandelions. Her determination was not thwarted even though I told her no. Emma went searching in the neighbors' yards for dandelions and then she planted them on her own.





Taylor finally joined us outside and, or course, had to plant her own dandelion garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment