Friday, March 25, 2011

A Week Without Afternoon Slumbers

It's been a very long week at our house. Emma and Taylor have decided that it must be time to stop napping. I still have them lay down for an hour, but alas, only one nap this week. That makes for a really long day. True, they are going to bed earlier, but their behavior before then is extra whiny and difficult.

Monday, I went to pick them up from the childcare area at the YMCA and the teacher told me how awful Taylor was. She was disrespectful, threw a fit on the floor, and fought with Emma. She was kind enough to follow by saying, "We would have never seen that coming from one of your girls!"

Wednesday, I threatened them with their lives, and headed back to the Y. I went to a water aerobics class and had been in the pool 25 minutes when I saw the director of childcare walk in. I knew she was coming for me, because I was by far the youngest person in the pool. I met her at the edge with a horrified expression on my face. She said that Emma had been playing on a rope and Taylor wanted to play on the rope, so Taylor bit Emma. Taylor was in time out and they had cleaned up Emma's bite mark. She just wanted me to know about it. As she left, she told me to enjoy the rest of my work out. Seriously? I guess it could have been worse - she could have bitten someone else's kid, right?

She had consequences for all offenses. I'm not a parent that makes excuses for her kids, at least, I don't think I am, but this terrible behavior has to be exasperated by no naps. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. So, we'll get through this no-nap transition. We just won't take them out in public until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment