Monday, March 14, 2011

For the Love of Music

I recently read the following in the CD notes of Fleet Foxes:

"...This leads me to something weird about the power that music has. Its transportive ability . Any time I hear a song or record that meant a lot to me at a certain moment or I was listening to at a distinct time, I'm instantly taken back to that place in full detail."

I love music. All kinds of music. Music speaks deep into my soul. Music has the ability to convey and evoke emotion that words alone cannot. My mom used to say that her life was a musical. She (and my grandma) would break into song at any moment. I do the same. If there is not already a song that applies to the moment, I will just make one up! I've noticed my kids doing the same thing. :) It brings joy to my heart.

It doesn't just bring joy to MY heart, it brings joy to my Maker's heart as well. The ultimate composer. God created music and gave us ears to hear it! He also gave us (some, more than others) the ability and desire to dance! He wants us to truly enjoy music!

I posted a music player with a random selection of some of my favorite songs. I wanted to explain that I really don't stop liking a song that I've already liked, I just move on and sometimes forget about them. But, when I hear those songs again, I am instantly taken back to the times that I loved them. I feel all the same emotions. So, when you look at my list of songs, which will be added to later, you get several snapshots of my life. Not just my life now, but all of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment