Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Peach Pickin'

A few weeks ago we went to a local peach orchard and picked 27 pounds of peaches.  Yes, that is a lot of peaches.  Somehow, they were all used up in one and a half weeks, though.  We should have picked more.  It makes me wish I had a large peach tree in my backyard.  They were so delicious.  Maybe when we move to a farm.  Then I'll get my peach tree.

On this day, like most days this summer, it was well over a hundred degrees.  We were hot.  Will taught the girls this neat trick.  I'll be interested to see if they ever have drinking water in their cups again.

We made freezer jam and I also had great plans to make a cobbler, but I just didn't have enough peaches left.  We froze some whole for winter baking, maybe I'll just use those.  We also cut some up and froze them for later.
Funny story:
My Grandma made these incredible peaches that she froze.  I mean so good that I wrote about them to be read at her funeral.  That good.  I wanted to make some with some of our surplus peaches.  I emailed my Aunt Sheila and asked if she knew Grandma's recipe.  Here was her response.

Just a little secret…..I’m the one who always put up Mama’s peaches.

Imagine my shock! I called the rest of my family to reveal the deeply kept secret and everybody had a good laugh.  Oh, Grandma.  I can hear her now, "Well, I never said I made all those."  Well, she also never told us she didn't, either.

Our picking time was almost over and I realized I hadn't taken any pictures.  I asked Emma to pick a peach so I could take her picture.  She said, "I'll just pretend.  I'm tired of picking peaches."
 


1 comment:

  1. I remember when we went berry picking. :)

    ReplyDelete